Replace a "traditional" protein with firm tofu.
1. Breakfast: instead of an egg... cut firm tofu into squares and eat along side your favorite fruit and toast. (either as is or cooked)
- to cook tofu, remove from package rinse and pat dry
- brown in a non-stick pan on medium high for about 5 - 7 minutes on each side
2. Lunch / Dinner
- add to your favorite pasta
- mix into your favorite vegetable or noodle soup
- serve with a bowl of rice and drizzle a little soy sauce
- replace it for a protein in curry and brown rice
- Pasta with Pesto Tofu
- Cook any shape pasta - try whole wheat it has great flavor.Cut tofu into squares and cook - cut into cubes after cooking.
- Of course you can make your own pesto, however I only make fresh pesto in the summer when basil is season in my garden. Otherwise,I like to use Genova Pesto from Trader Joe's. You can find it in the refrigerator section next to the hummus and salsa.
- After the pasta is cooked and drained (do not rinse) add cubed tofu and pesto (straight from the container - let it come to room temperature) gently toss together and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
- Complete this meal with a salad of mixed baby greens.
2. Curry Tofu and Broccoli with Brown Rice
- Cook brown rice (use a rice cooker for perfect rice and do not forget to soak your rice in the cooker for at least an hour before cooking).
- Saute broccoli with shallots and garlic in a little olive oil before adding 1/4 cup of water and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Cook tofu
- Curry simmer: Trader Joe's has two excellent curry simmers that are easy to use. Stir in tofu and broccoli into the curry simmer and serve with brown rice.
- Zion Market (Korean Market in Hawaiian Gardens) has a huge selection of ready to serve curries.
- Complete this meal with sliced melon.
HELPFUL HINT:Tofu can be stored in it's original package in the refrigerator until the expiration date posted. Once you open the tofu cover it with water and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Be sure to change the water daily, and the tofu will last 5 - 7 days.
- Tofu was first used in China more than 2000 years ago
- 4oz of tofu has 10.1 grams of protein and 94 calories
- Daily recommended intake of protein: women - 46 grams / men - 56 grams
- Plate designed by Dorothy J. Smith AKA Nana
Whole Wheat Pasta
Trader Joe's Genova Pesto
Mixed Baby Greens
Trader Joe's Curry Simmer
KEEP IT SIMPLE PANTRY:
Sea or Kosher Salt
Cracked Black Pepper
Favorite Dry Herbs (only keep the one you use)
Chicken / Vegetable Stock
Red Wine Vinegar
Green Tea (drink it every day)
Good Brown Rice